Madhuri Dixit
Join our community today and gain access to everything Madhuri related!

Thousands of pictures in our gallery. All the latest news. Videos covering the whole career of hamaari Madhuri. Fanart and fanfiction.

But don´t just take. Give something to our community. Make friends. Nobody likes lurkers.
Madhuri Dixit
Join our community today and gain access to everything Madhuri related!

Thousands of pictures in our gallery. All the latest news. Videos covering the whole career of hamaari Madhuri. Fanart and fanfiction.

But don´t just take. Give something to our community. Make friends. Nobody likes lurkers.
Madhuri Dixit
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our most beloved artiste is back on the big screen with Gulaab Gang and Dedh Ishqiya in 2013!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Sholay

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Innocence

Innocence

Sholay Empty
PostSubject: Sholay   Sholay EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 5:08 pm

Sholay

I know this has been toted as the best Hindi film ever so do I agree?

NO :p:

Don't get me wrong its a really good film and i surprised myself by liking it a lot but its not the best imo.

At first i was bored but after the ott train fight scene i really enjoyed it, it was funny, entertaining and a really good experience.

Performances

Dharmendra: - I have seen apne and yamla pagla deewana but he has always seemed like someone who is very unhappy even when he smiles it seems to cover a lot of pain but man i loved him here he was so funny and full of life and colour! and his acting was really good!

Amitabh: - was really good too loved his mannerisms, dialogues and acting but i thought dharmendra was better i didn't want him to die though Sad

Hema: - OMG i loved her she was for me the life and soul of the film she was so sweet, funny and lively Laughing and she is so beautiful Love

Jaya: was not needed in the film and dint do much so i cant really judge her!

The actor who played Gabbar was amazing i loved his acting, his voice, his dialogue deliver everything was amazing also i found him cute :p:

Overall for me hema and gabbar stole the show :dance:

Rating: 8/10

Back to top Go down
starrysky

starrysky

Sholay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sholay   Sholay EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 5:34 am

I'm not nuts about "Sholay" either... But it's just not my preferred genre. As a film, it is well made. I also suspect a lot of the finer intricacies of the dialogues were lost on me in translation.

Interestingly, I liked Dharmendra better in it than Amitabh. But I'm generally rather indifferent toward Amitabh (I just respect him and that's all; he doesn't touch me as an actor or man).

Sholay A3bb0f09fa12
Back to top Go down
starrysky

starrysky

Sholay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sholay   Sholay EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 5:44 am

Favorite anecdote of Anupama from the making of "Sholay":

My undying love affair

By Anupama Chopra

Why, after so many years, am I so in Bollywood’s thrall? It’s the stories, really. The ones you never see turned into films.

Last week, a journalist asked me why, after nearly 20 years, I was still so enamoured of Bollywood. What was so compelling about the Hindi film industry? It’s the films, of course, but it’s also the outsized personalities, epic egos and the sheer, beguiling insanity of the place. Bollywood has the best stories—and I’m not talking about the ones on screen. Here are a few tales that I love to tell again and again.

When Sholay was being shot in 1974-75, the Hema Malini-Dharmendra romance was slowly blossoming into a full-blown affair. The shoot was somewhat complicated because Sanjeev Kumar, also a suitor, was part of the cast. Unlike Dharmendra, he was single and therefore far more eligible. But Dharmendra was besotted and he wore his heart on his sleeve. When he and Hema shot romantic scenes, he paid the light boys to make mistakes so that he could embrace her again and again. Dharmendra and the light boys had a perfectly worked out code language: when he pulled his ear, the light boys would make a mistake—mess up the trolley movement or make a reflector fall—but when he touched his nose, they finished the shot. The fee was Rs 100 per retake. On a good day, the light boys made Rs 2,000.

Sholay co-writer Javed Akhtar is a great raconteur—at one party, he whispered to me: “Aaiye, baith ke kisi ki buraiyyaan karte hain (Come, let’s sit and criticise someone).” Here’s a favourite Javed saab story: some years ago, he was waiting at the airport to pick up his brother when a man walked up to him and exclaimed: “Arre Gulzar saab, aap yahaan kya kar rahe hain (Ah, Gulzar saab, what are you here for)?” To which, Javed Akhtar, keeping a perfectly straight face, replied: “Main Javed saab ko receive karne aya hoon. Woh jab bhi kahin se laut te hain, main unko pick up karne haazir ho jata hoon (I’m here to receive Javed saab; whenever he returns from some trip, I turn up to pick him up).”

Javed saab has stiff competition from Shah Rukh Khan, who is also a tireless storyteller (fittingly, he traces his family to the Qissa Khawani Bazaar in Peshawar, the street of storytellers). One of the funniest stories he ever told me was about a bearded, arty-type director who narrated the following script to him: Shah Rukh plays a man who is unable to marry the woman he loves and becomes a Scarface-style mafia don. She marries a policeman. At some point, the cop chases the don and shoots him, but somehow the don ends up, wounded, on a train with his ex-love. He is thirsty. She is pregnant. There is no water. So she does the only thing left to do: take out her breast and offer him her milk, after which, and I quote Shah Rukh here, “Somehow their relationship changes to that of a brother and sister”.

Shah Rukh said that when he told the director that he found the scene odd, the director was very upset and accused Shah Rukh of having dirty thoughts!

This last story may or may not be true, but it’s delicious. Almost a decade ago, when mafia threats, shootouts and extortion calls were commonplace in Bollywood, a D-Company gangster rang Raj Kumar Santoshi. He wanted the director to make a film for him. Santoshi reluctantly agreed. But Santoshi isn’t exactly a budget-sensitive filmmaker (recall that bloated stinker China Gate?). First, he asked the gangster to send several lakh for script development. Then, he requested money for set design, and soon after, even more to start recording the songs. The gangster had invested Rs 20-30 lakh even before a single shot had been canned. The reverse extortion worked magic. The next time Santoshi rang him to discuss the film, the gangster refused to take the call.

Does any other world offer this? Which is why I am still here, taking notes.

http://www.bollywoodlife.com/news-gossip/my-undying-love-affair/
Back to top Go down
starrysky

starrysky

Sholay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sholay   Sholay EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 5:46 am

Sholay 2

Sholay 5

Sholay 24675443_1

Back to top Go down
starrysky

starrysky

Sholay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sholay   Sholay EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 5:48 am

Sholay 208850

Sholay 9286f3604af4

Sholay E1b8982fa9cb
Back to top Go down
Gaja Gamini
Admin
Gaja Gamini

Sholay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sholay   Sholay EmptyMon May 28, 2012 9:44 am

I found Sholay a very good film and a movie everyone who is into Bollywood and not an ignorant should see, as it was such a landmark picture. That much said I can appreciate it, but there is no special love for it in my heart, perhaps because I prefer other genres.
Back to top Go down
http://bollywood-ish.blogspot.com/
Gulaabi Ladki
Admin
Gulaabi Ladki

Sholay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sholay   Sholay EmptyMon May 28, 2012 7:21 pm

Sholay is such a hyped film and I wonder if I will enjoy it as much as others do.
Back to top Go down
http://kajolkrazy.forumotion.com/
Gaja Gamini
Admin
Gaja Gamini

Sholay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sholay   Sholay EmptyMon May 28, 2012 7:27 pm

It is HUGELY hyped because it was just so different from whatever Bollywood had made before. It was a real landmark and actually marked the whole 80s rather negatively - because everybody was trying to get their own piece of success by copying it. LIke it happened with HAHK, DDLJ and DTPH in the 90s. So the whole 80s were all action flicks of questionable quality with lots of booms and family wrong doings. But Sholay is solid.
Back to top Go down
Gulaabi Ladki
Admin
Gulaabi Ladki

Sholay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sholay   Sholay EmptyMon May 28, 2012 7:32 pm

I suppose it's like you said on.. what was that? Agneepath or Pakeezah review.. It helps to watch it in it's own time, I guess. Do you think it has repeat value? Is it timeless?
Back to top Go down
http://kajolkrazy.forumotion.com/
Gaja Gamini
Admin
Gaja Gamini

Sholay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sholay   Sholay EmptyMon May 28, 2012 7:34 pm

I´ve only seen it once so I don´t know about repeat value, but yes, I can imagine watching it more than few times. Don´t know if timeless is the word, but I think it´s worth a watch, even if only because you can enjoy MANY film refferences to it in other movies. And it never hurts to know more about landmarks Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sholay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sholay   Sholay Empty

Back to top Go down

Sholay
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Madhuri Dixit :: Oldies-
Jump to: